The Student News Site of CT State Community College Manchester

ICE Media

ICE Media

ICE Media

Cougar Pantry Turkey Giveaway Fills Thanksgiving Gaps on Campus

Brian Lombardo
Laura Bruno, left, director of the Cougar Pantry, and Carole Lopez, president of the Student Government Association, prepare for a turkey giveaway before Thanksgiving.

More than 70 students received Thanksgiving Dinners from the Cougar Pantry during the Family Turkey Giveaway event on Nov. 20.

Students and their families received oven-ready raw turkeys and bags filled with vegetables, stuffing and other fixings. The food was donated by Connecticut Foodshare as well as from the campus community or purchased with grant money.

This year is the first time since the coronavirus pandemic that the Family Turkey Giveaway event was able to go on, said Laura Bruno, who works in the Office of Student Activities as the Wellness Assistant, Cougar Pantry director and Welcome Desk supervisor.

She emphasized that the pantry is a place where any student or campus worker can come for food or personal hygiene products, no questions asked.

“Dignity is the priority,” said Bruno.

I received some food from the Giveaway that I was able to share with my immediate and extended family. It’s real nice that this college is able to help out us members of the community. It is very appreciated by my family, and I know that many others appreciate it as well.

The Cougar Pantry is located in the Student Services Center building, room L149. For more information contact Laura Bruno at [email protected] or 860-512-3287. You can also visit https://www.manchestercc.edu/current-students/resources/cougar-pantry/.