The Student News Site of CT State Community College Manchester

ICE Media

ICE Media

ICE Media

ICED OUT: April Willard

Spring Fling on April 17th was an event full of fun for CT State Manchester campus’ students, staff, and faculty. At the ICE News table, our mascot Chester, and his igloo friends held a raffle to give students the opportunity to showcase their chosen media on our website. The raffle winner, April Willard, is an artist and student at the CT State Manchester campus who will be centered in this edition of ICED OUT.

About April

What is your name?: My name is April Willard and I currently live in Hebron, CT.

What is your major?: I am currently completing general studies with the goal to be accepted into CT State CC nursing program at the Capital campus.

What are your pronouns?: She/Her.

What career path are you working towards?: The career path I am working towards is healthcare & nursing. I have been a certified nursing assistant and have worked extensively in the healthcare industry since 2008. I plan to become an LPN (licensed practical nurse) while completing my degree to become an RN (registered nurse).

How long have you been a student at CT State Manchester?: I started my first semester in the Fall of 2023.

Any additional information about yourself?: I am a proud Mama/Auntie to my 3 children and nephew. One could refer to me as a “chaos coordinator” to my family of 6.

April’s Art

• April Willard

• Acrylic painting of a country windmill.

• Acrylic painting of the shore.

• A portrait of a baby with Disney characters which was made for a 1st birthday gift. Done in markers and pencil.

• Acrylic painting of April’s family dog, Chase. Painted at The Red House in Salem, CT.

How long have you been doing art?: Since I can remember, I have always loved to draw, craft and color.

What is the inspiration behind your art?: My maternal grandmother (my Nana) was an amazing painter. I grew up with her paintings all over the walls in all the homes of relatives. When I was about 12-13 years old, I spent the summer with my Nana and had my first experience with oil paint.

Who is your favorite artist?: My favorite artist would have to be my Nana.

Any additional information about your art?: I stopped doing art for a long time due to struggling with physical and mental health problems. It wasn’t until the year 2018, that I began to use art as a “coping mechanism” and a way to quiet my severe anxiety.