The Student News Site of CT State Community College Manchester

ICE Media

ICE Media

ICE Media

Interview with Sharon Mills

Sharon+Mills+started+at+Manchester+as+a+student+in+1982+and+began+working+here+in+1985.+
    Molly Coleman
    Sharon Mills started at Manchester as a student in 1982 and began working here in 1985.

Student, Molly Coleman, sat down with, Sharon Mills, Administrative assistant to the Associate Dean of Campus Operations, to inquire about her time at CT State Manchester.

Q: How long have you been at CT State Manchester?

A: I started as a student in 1982 and then I started working here in 1985 as a temporary clerk in the admissions office, and then the woman I was filling in for had her child and decided she wasn’t coming back so I got the job. I have been in this position since 1997.

Q. What has been your favorite part of the Manchester campus and community?

A: The student, staff and faculty atmosphere. There is always something going on, there is never a dull moment, there are always opportunities to learn new things here, nothing is stagnant.

Q. How has the college changed?

A: When I was a student, this building hadn’t even been built yet, there was a campus down [in back] with module buildings, and we were given 20 minutes in between classes to get around campus! They started building this building while I was a student, the physical campus. When I started this job I was scared to death, I didn’t think I could do it, but it all worked out.

Q. Do you have any plans once you are retired?

A: I do have plans. I am hoping to come back to work part time, just 20 hours a week, for two years. My husband and I are taking a trip across Canada. I also have a hobby of paper crafting; it’s taken over a room in my house. I am also going to work for a store down in Old Saybrook, the Papercraft Clubhouse, for one day a week.

Q: What will you miss about Manchester?

A: The people, the community, you are always meeting new people here. I have learned so much and made so many good friends here, I am really going to miss the people.

Q: Any notable student stories you will take with you?

A: When I was first here, I was friends with more of the students than I was staff as I was only 21. I worked in the next door over, and there was a student named Susan who came in one day, and she was in tears because she had just gotten word that she had received a scholarship. That always stuck with me.

Q. What do you know now that you wish you had known when you started?

A: People need to be accepted just as they are, including myself; everyone has the right to be heard, the feeling of being included. That is something I have learned over the years: everyone on this campus is important and has the ability to do great things.

Q. What do you want people to remember about you?

A: I hope people remember that I was kind and helpful and maybe that I could make them smile!