The Student News Site of CT State Community College Manchester

ICE Media

ICE Media

ICE Media

Summer Vacay Yay!

• Sage and Jon inside a newly-forming glacier cave on Breiðamerkurjökull on August 10. While hiking to this location they were able to see the different layers of ice and volcanic ash that have built up over the centuries.

• This is Háifoss, or “High Waterfall,” one of the highest waterfalls in Iceland.

• The waterfall was located in the highlands requiring a short drive on a rough, gravel road. The hike took us about two hours, during that time we encountered breath taking views and, on the way back we encountered the sheep on the path on their way up.

• I took this photo of a colony of puffins when we were visiting Dyrhólaey lighthouse and nature preserve. This day we experienced real Iceland weather in that it was misty and there were gale force winds. So, when I was taking this photo and leaning a bit close to the edge Jon had to hold me to ensure I was not going to fall off the cliff!

• Jessica in the Vatican Museum’s Gallery of Maps. The series of maps are hand painted topographical maps of Italy based on drawings of the Friar and Geographer Ignazio Danti.

• An archeologist describes the Convivium rooms in the Domus Aurea. Adorned with ivory and jeweled walls, frescos and mosaics these luxurious dining rooms are said to have housed grand feast

• This bracelet is a two-headed snake with glass eyes, holding a medallion with the image of Diana. It is showcased in the new exhibition “The beloved of Isis. Nero, the Domus Aurea and Egypt.” The exhibit, in the Domus Aurea museum in Rome, explores the link between Rome and Egypt in the first century A.D. through the figure, Nero, who established a special relationship with the Orient and Egypt from a young age.

• This statue of Caesarion, or “little Caesar,” Cleopatra’s son, is made of rose granite and is on display at Domus Aurea. He wears the striped head cloth (nemes) of the pharaohs in first-century B.C.

• Bridal Veil Falls, near White Pass, Alaska. This waterfall is one of several that can be seen along the White Pass and Yukon Route rail line that travels from Skagway, Alaska, to White Pass, Alaska and Canada. The town of Skagway, in southern Alaska, served as the gateway to miners hoping to cash in on the 1897/1898 Klondike gold rush in the Yukon.

• Mendenhall Glacier is a glacier about 13.6 miles long located in Mendenhall Valley, about 12 miles from downtown Juneau in the southeast area of the U.S. state of Alaska

• Sitka, an American Bald Eagle, lives at a nature conservatory in Ketchikan, Alaska.

• A totem pole in downtown Ketchikan.

• Bill Williams took a gondola ride in Rome.

• In Pisa, Bill tried to keep the famous leaning tower from falling over!

What did you do on your summer vacation? Some CT State Community College Manchester classroom leaders went far afield to keep learning even when they were out of the classroom.

Sage Hojda, coordinator of the Disability Specialist program, and her husband, Jon Brown, visited the country of Iceland.

Jessica Zolciak, who teaches biology, went with family and friends to Rome, Italy.

Stephania Davis, who teaches communication, visited Alaska, America’s 49th state.

Take a look at some of their vacation photos.